Home School Family Vacations
Plan an adventurous, educational family fun trip to St. Germain, Wisconsin. A city in the “Center of it All”. Experience many fun filled educational lessons and opportunities all within 25 minutes from your doorstep.
PLAN A HISTORY LESSON
Northwood’s Children Museum. (Eagle River)
A hands on educational opportunity for pre-school to grade school children.
Vilas County Historical Museum. (Sayner)
A hands on museum that will take you back to the early development of Northern Wisconsin and the
people who were truly Northwood’s pioneers.
Ojibwe Museum and Culture Center. (Lac du Flambeau)
A museum of the Native American Indian tribes indigenous to the area.
Logging History Museum. (Rhinelander)
Visit this museum to study what logging was like in the Northwood’s at the turn of the century.
PLAN A BIOLOGY LESSON
Visit the WPS handicapped accessible hiking trail were the trees and fauna are marked for you.
Visit the Woodruff fish hatchery and see the life cycle of fish native to the area lakes.
Visit the Northwood’s Wildlife Center and see how injured animals are rehabilitated for re-release back to their environment.
Visit the Rainbow Flowage to see how a flowage helps with Wisconsin’s watershed to the South.
TEACH AN ASTRONOMY LESSON
Watch the sunset or sunrise over a beautiful lake right from your doorstep.
Study the constellations while sitting around a campfire at night.
If you’re really lucky you might get to see the phenomenal Northern Lights in the evening sky.
If you are even luckier, you may get to witness a shooting star blaze across the sky.
PLAN A TRIP AROUND EDUCATIONAL EVENTS IN THE AREA
Experience Fur Traders Rendezvous in February at Klondike Days in Eagle River.
Visit a Fur Trader’s encampment in September at St. Germain’s Colorama.
Attend a Native American Indian Pow-Wow held through out the summer in Lac du Flambeau.
Attend a play at the Northern Lights Play House theater or sign up for a theater/drama camp and learn how to produce or star in a play.
Endless Educational and Fun Experiences
Sample Two Day Itinerary while in St. Germain Wisconsin
- Have breakfast the Wolf Pack in St. Germain. Famous for it’s pancakes and named restaurant of the month by Discover Wisconsin.
- Visit the Vilas County Historical Museum in Sayner for a hands on experience of Northwood’s pioneers.
- Pack a picnic lunch, drive down scenic Hwy J. Stop at a wayside or public campground to enjoy your picnic lunch by the shore of a local lake. Head to the Department of Natural Recourse’s Fish Hatchery (Hwy Jjust 5 miles out of St. Germain) Follow the life cycle of one of the native area fish and find out how local lakes are stocked. View an assortment of native fish in the hatchery’s many fish ponds.
- Enjoy a camp style dinner at Paul Bunyan’s famous authentic logging camp restaurant in Minocqua. Find antiques and logging camp articles from days long forgotten.
- Head back to your cabin to enjoy the natural surroundings of the North.
Enjoy a beautiful sunset and moonrise around a camp fire. Challenge yourself to locate your favorite constellation in a clear unpolluted sky.
- Go for an early morning nature walk and search for plants native to Wisconsin. On your way, stop for some bakery at the St. Germain Bake Shoppe! Also check out the St. Germain Chamber for more information on things to do in and around St. Germain.
- Step back in time and visit an old “50”s Soda fountain for lunch and cool drink at Soda Pops restaurant in Eagle River.
- Canoe or Kayak one of the many lakes and rivers and search for an eagles or osprey’s nest. Birds galore can be found on the shores of our rivers and lakes.
- Have dinner at a local restaurant. Sit near a large picture window and name the different types of wildlife you see. Many restaurants feed the birds, bear, deer and squirrels for your viewing while you dine.
- Top off your evening with a Native American experience at Lac du Flambeau’s Indian Bowl Pow- Wow on the shores of Long Interlaken Lake.